Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Truth of the True Thunder

A lot of the prints at the dino print place were sticky-outy instead of sticky-inny like I imagined they would be. I probably read why they formed that way like 5 times, but I don't remember now. Something about mud and a bunch of time. About half of the footprints were labeled "Eubrontes" so I got to picturing some really cool footprint-lovin' little green critters named Eubrontes that were all over St. George back in the good ol' pre-extinction days. Perhaps they were generally older little beasts and they preferred the warm climate to live out their golden years. In what ended up being one of the strangest coincidances of 2010 (so far) the U-Haul truck we were given to move into our new house had a giant green Eubrontes on it. Crazy! And I'd never even heard of the little guys before that St. George visit.
A little bit of wikipedia-ing tonight has crushed all my visions of Eubrontes grandeur. I discovered that "Eubrontes" is the term for any fossilized footprints from the late Triassic or early Jurassic period, and NOT the critter that made them. Curses, and I had already put Eubrontes on my top five favorite dinosaurs list, not too far from the best dinosaur ever, the mighty Tyrannosaurus. The next picture is Zoe and I being scary in front of a Tyrannosaurus eubrontes shipped in from Mexico. I'd like to see a real Tyrannosaurus skeleton someday. The Tyrannoskull below is just a replica. Like a big moron I've walked right next to two full skeletons in the last few years but didn't spend the few dollars and minutes to go in and check them out. There's one in the Museum of Natural History in Manhattan, and another in The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. Man, Tyrannosaurs are so flippin' sweet. I'd say one of the best moments of my life was when my parents let me watch Jurassic Park, my first PG-13 movie, and my first DVD...I would have loved to be eatten by one of those guys, could there be a better story to tell in heaven when people ask what did ya' in, as they're bound to do?

No comments: