Saturday, August 21, 2010

History Detectives

Dad was worried that Sara and I wouldn't be intrested in coming along with him to St. George, so he conjured up an adventure to entice us. Back when dad was just a young sapling he spent many evenings working as a clerk at Fenton's Pharmacy in downtown St. George. Whenever he tells us stories of his days working, there the scenery that shows up in my head is from that part at the beginning of Its a Wonderful Life where George Bailey is working in that loony old dude's drug store/ice cream parlour. Hot Dog! I don't remember all the ins and outs of the story, but apparently old man Fenton had a bunch of super old pharmaceutical bottles and devices, including an old timey scale, that were quite the tourist attractions when he had them displayed at the store. Somewhere along the way these items were donated to Dixie College. Our mission was to hunt down these relics and make sure they weren't just shoved into a box somewhere.

At first we thought this would be a tough task, and we were completely prepared to use brass poles to pound our way through a giant "X" on the floor and walk through rat-ridden sewers. Instead we just walked into the Science building and looked at the first display shelf we came across, and there they all were. That's some super sleuthing, says I. The old bottles and beakers were pretty cool, but I was a big fan of the super old Cosmopolitan magazines that were found under several layers of carpet in the house of one of my great aunts. They're probably better off behind glass at Dixie College, instead of eventually finding their way to the Antiques Roadshow.

Our relic hunt was a lot of fun, but I also enjoyed our little jaunt over to Sara's alma mater, the Dixie College Art Department. She was like a rock star over there, man, every teacher knew her and they were all really excited to see where life had left her. We even spent some time talking to Del Parson, one of the most famous of all Mormon artists. He did the famous picture of Jesus to the right, and a bunch of other really popular ones (look 'im up, and see how cool this guy's stuff is). Del was pretty much Sara's mentor while she was at Dixie, and he was very glad to see her. After we spoke to him, another one of her ex-professors, Glen Blakely, pulled her aside and had her take her pick from among loads of super cool pottery he had recently baked. There were so many awesome ceramics there, her teacher had just gone on some sort of kiln spree and I was glad he let us take a few of them home with us. I had no clue what a great little artist I had married. If I were to ever go back to the Math department at BYU they wouldn't even know who I was...I spent most of my time there trying to avoid the professors.

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Aw, Sara and I did have good times in the art building...Don't worry though, if I were to go back, I don't think they'd know me. You had to show promising talent for that!

Trent and Britni said...

It's so fun to see what your cute family has been up to! We miss you guys! So glad that your adventures are going well!!