Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Return to the Desert

The blood flowing through my veins is a little more red than most peoples' because it contains high quantities of sand from under the hot sun of Utah's Dixie. Way back in the Brigham Young days, my ancestors were sent down to St. George to settle the joint, and there we stayed for generations. Sometimes you just gotta leave Scotland and move to the desert, I guess. I often wonder if I've disappointed my dead relatives by leaving the wilderness they risked their lives to tame. No, I think not, they probably would have moved too if they had the internet and could Google "water" and find out that there's gallons of it goin' for free on the other side of the Sierra Nevadas.

Ends up that I'm not the first animal to creep his way through St. George. Millions of years ago some cool dinosaurs (all dinosaurs are cool) were passing through the city and they left some super awesome footprints in the mud. Not too long ago those footprints were found by a family friend of my dad's, and eventually the site evolved into a big exhibition facility. Dad invited us along for a ride to St. George the week before we moved to Seattle, so we stopped in at the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site while we were in the neighborhood. Good grief is it hot there, no wonder the dinosaurs didn't stick around.

No comments: