Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Stop in the Forest City

My good wife has had to endure many hours of whining over the last four years as I've begged her to take me to see the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, and during this trip we finally did what was required to shut me up. Off we went to Cleveland, Ohio. While there we also got to enjoy a visit with Sara's cousin Justin, his wife Anna, and their three cute little girls, Daisy, Lilly and Violet. I'm still wondering why in the world we didn't take any pictures while we were visiting them, probably because we were too busy talking about this and that. It's so cool that we country folks from the west can survive in the "big" cities of the Midwest. Of course, none of us actually stayed there forever, it seems that potato-fed westerners only temporarily enjoy being corn-fed midwesterners.

Cleveland had other exciting things to offer, but we didn't really have a whole load of times to experience them. We do, however, have many pictures snapped from the car window of the local sites, such as the FREE stamp, which is located not too far from the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. This is another one of those great big chunks of public art that is placed in the most unusual of places all over the world. I really think somebody should put together a book filled with the world's best public art. It would have to be a giant book that would be placed in the middle of the kitchen and propped up with massive amounts of hidden steel. The FREE stamp was done by married Dutch artists Coosje van Bruggen (female) and Claes Oldenbur (male). They also did that gigantic clothes pin across the street from City Hall in Philadelphia, and my personal favorite, Typewriter Eraser, Scale X, which I'm sure to post a picture of one of these days, seeing how it's located in Seattle.

We also enjoyed checking out Lake Erie, which is very large. Those Great Lakes are super cool to see, I still can't wrap my head around how huge they actually are. I think they should be called seas instead of lakes, I don't care how unsalty they are. As you can likely tell, it was sorta rainy while we were in Cleveland, so our exterior pictures were taken in such haste that they came out mostly blurry...and wet. Here's Sara as pictured with some boats. We like boats because you just don't see them every day, and that chain is pretty awesome.

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Before I even read your last sentence, I thought, "Gosh, that chain is frickin' HUGE!" Very cool though.

The Bates Family said...

Wow! You guys have done some serious traveling this summer and I can't believe how many facts, trivia, and information in general Kason knows. Seriously...that's amazing. You should go on who wants to me a millionaire. You would totally win. I tried to find out where you guys are living by reading your blog, but I must have missed it. Where are you guys?....and how are ya?