Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cleveland and it's Hall of Fame

So this is the exterior of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Gift Shop and Snack Hut. I too was curious as to why Cleveland is considered the birthplace of Rock 'n' Roll, we found out that it's because some local DJ guy made up the term and popularized it. There's actually a big exhibit in the museum dedicated to the Cleveland rock'n'roll scene, which, I must say is pretty lame-o. No offense to you, Drew Carey, if you happen to be reading my blog between recordings of the world's most bestest game show ever, but the evidence suggests that Cleveland does not rock...or at least it didn't until the Hall of Fame came around.

As you can see from its funky shape, the museum itself is quite the site to see. It was designed by Chinese architect I.M. Pei, who was also responsible for a way cool building in Hong Kong called the Bank of China Tower, you should look it up. Right next door to the building is the football field where the Cleveland Browns play, cleverly named the Cleveland Browns Stadium. I thought it interesting to note that Cleveland is the only NFL team that has never played in or hosted the Super Bowl. Go Cleveland! The stadium and the R'n'R HoF are both on a little peninsula that juts out into lake Erie.

I guess I shouldn't be too harsh with my Cleveland facts, the city is far nicer than some of its Midwest counter parts, in that it actually has buildings that look like they're inhabited. Plus I think its pretty cool how all the suburbs are built up on hills and each one is named Something Ridge. But enough about Cleveland, this posting's supposed to be about the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. Please note that I appropriately wore my Zeppelin sweatshirt into the complex. There are actually people at the door checking to make sure that all patrons are appropriately dressed, thanks to them, no one was admitted onto the premises bedecked in Hannah Montana or Brett Favre apparel. This alone justified the $25 entrance fee.

No comments: