Sunday, May 24, 2009

Where Baby Waterfalls Come From

All three of us liked Niagara Falls very much. I think that if I were a bird with a valid passport I would spend all day flying from one side of the waterfall to the other. I've been trying to figure out what crazy act of nature caused the waterfall to be the way it is and where it is, but I just don't get it. Maybe I have to be a geologist or something, but all I can really understand is that this is because of Wisconsin Glaciation. I guess back like a gazillion years ago some huge chunk of ice cut its way through the entire Midwest and cut the place up really good. When the glacier melted away it left behind the Great Lakes and its connecting rivers, including the Niagara River. Then there was this escarpment thing that created a cuesta that turned into a waterfall. And that's where enormous waterfalls come from. Geologists are still researching the topic, but from what I'm reading, the Wisconsin Glatiation will be complete in the Milwaukee area sometime in the late 3200's.

Niagara Falls is made up of three waterfalls separated by two little islands. The big daddy waterfall is named Horseshoe Falls, and is by far the coolest. The little baby waterfall is separated from its daddy by Goat Island, and is called Bridal Veil Falls. Then there's the tiny Luna Island that separates Bridal Veil Falls from the mommy-sized waterfall, American Falls. From June to November of 1969 the Army Corps of Engineers redirected the flow of the Niagara River so that the American and Bridal Veil Falls went completely dry. They then fixed up the cracks caused by erosion from the waterfall and turned the water back on again. Thank goodness for the ACoE, we wouldn't want nature to have its way.




No comments: