Sunday, January 04, 2009

Will you take my picture Jaume?

The more I read about Millennium Park in Chicago the more I understand how super amazing it is. After we spent our fair share of time taking pictures of the Cloud Gate jelly bean, we walked across the way to the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, where they were playing an old timey radio program for the public. That there's a picture of Sara stading in the grass in front of the giant stage. The pavilion was designed by Frank Gehry of Disney Concert Hall fame. I wonder if he really got the inspiration for his buildings from wadding up pieces of paper, like on The Simpsons? I think it'd be pretty neat to see a concert or something at that pavilion. All those cross bars above Sara's head have speakers on them that have been rigged up to make the sound on the stage reach the people at the far end of the lawn as though they were on the front row. Its actually pretty cool, you ought to read about it.

Sara and I have come across the works of Spanish artist, Jaume Plensa, during some of our other trips. If you're ever in a new city and find some gigantic work of art that you can't quit staring at, it is very likely one of his. Here's an advertisement for a blog soon to come...Plensa's giant letter dude on Miami's South Beach. Don't miss it! Anyhow, the faces on Jaume Plensa's Crown Fountain are shown for four minutes and then their lips pucker and water comes out their mouth for a minute, followed by a one minute period of nothing, then by a brief view of some landscape, and then 5 minutes of another Chicago resident's face, repeat. The faces are shown on 2 fifty foot towers of LED bricks. And I always figured it was done with projectors...nope! The videos of the Chicago residents were taken back in 2001 with a $100,000 camara, and you never see their ears or hair. Videos of exactly one thousand people were taken, which means that each person shows up on the screen once every 8 days. A June 2007 article in the Chicago Sun-Times reported that many of the subjects who had their images digitized for the project had yet to either see their own images or hear of anyone who had seen them. I wish my face was up there so's I could be a famous Chicagan. I guess I could always just start up a mob or sell some Senate seats.

No comments: