Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bronze the Fonz!

The very day we heard that the city of Milwaukee planned to commision a bronze statue of the Fonz for the riverfront, we knew we were constituents of a municipality that has it all figured out. For some crazy reason there were some nay-sayers among my peers who thought this was a waste of tax-payer money, but they're all a bunch of fuddy duddies and I say poo-poo to them! We waited and waited and waited until the unveiling day finally came, August 19th, 2008. We had found out a few days earlier that the entire cast of Happy Days were going to be there for the unveiling, so we got up early, put on our groupie masks and made our way downtown to throw ourselves among the throngs of adoring fans. You think I kid, but there really were hundreds of people lined up to see and swoon at the cast, who all showed up except Ron Howard...the punk. I had to work that day, but fortunately all the festivities were just outside my building, so I came down every now and again to hoot and holler. I find it strange that I, the only non-Wisconsinite in my office, was the only one with Happy Daysitis. Maybe its because we Westerners can better understand how cool the Fonz is, was and always will be now that he's been immortalized in painted bronze. We stood next to the Bronze Fonz for nearly an hour to commune with him and watch as news crews parused. I sure hope he's not too cold out there in -10 degree weather.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I would have been there, the Fonz and Laverne and Shirley is/are what makes Milwaukee, oops forgot about "The Crusher" and "Dick the Bruiser"

Where was this all done at?

Kason said...

The statue is right across the river from the Rock Bottom Brewery, and the cast members all signed our poster in the amphitheatre between the Marcus Centre and the Intercontinental hotel (used to be the Wyndham). Hmmm...I'm not sure who The Crusher and Dick the Bruiser are, I'll have to look that up.