Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Have stick, will fry

Milwaukee residents don’t go to the state fair to check out the animals. They go for the food, which can be broken into four basic categories:
- Food on a stick
- Fried food
- Fried food on a stick
- Cream Puffs

I’m not kidding, if you can put it on a stick, or fry it, you’ll find it at the Wisconsin state fair. I believe my favorite stick food was this fish hut that was serving fried macaroni and cheese on a stick. Your guess is as good as mine as to how this is accomplished, but it is. Randy and I ultimately decided to select from the second category for dinner, we got us some fried fish. Sara and Diane went with some sort of healthy sandwich, which was not on a stick. Boring.

Before our excursion to the State Fair, I had never actually met a famous Wisconsin State Fair Cream Puff. Everybody at work gets pretty excited about their Cream Puff, but I gotta tell ya’ that I was slightly disappointed. Yes, they were as fattening and caloried as advertised, but the taste simply was not worth the aforementioned drawbacks. I was expecting a giant version of those great little cream puffs that come frozen and are served at wedding receptions, but what I got instead was a doughnut bowl filled with boring whipped cream and topped with another doughnut bowl and powdered sugar. For fear of lynching, I’ve yet to disclose my cream puff aversion to my co-workers. I think the only reason Wisconsinites are so excited about cream puffs is that they like to make fun of their out-of-town relatives as they attempt to maintain any dignity with all that cream on their faces.

No comments: