Thursday, July 24, 2008

Carthage Jail in the Rain

My favorite part of the entire Nauvoo experience is the tour of Carthage Jail. When Sara and I went in April we were relatively by ourselves during the tour of the jail where Joseph Smith was martyred. We were able to sit together in the upper bedroom for nearly twenty minutes just listening to the room. There is an icredible spirit there. It was amazing. This time around I had a different sort of experience at Carthage, but it was great none the less. Right when we got into the visitors center it began to rain; a real Midwest down pour. Zoe was not interested in doing anything but playing in the rain. I had a blast watching Zoe walk out into the rain, trying to figure out where it was coming from. This proved to be very therapeutic to me after a few weeks of being super busy at work and not able to play with my Zoe as much as I want to. While Sara, Nathen, Jennifer and Annie were in the building, Zoe and I stayed outside playing in the rain and chatting with the missionary people. Have you ever noticed that missionaries like to talk about their families back home a lot? Anyhow, the rain stopped and in a matter of a few minutes the sun came out and it became a beautiful afternoon. This was fortunate since Annie and Zoe were far more interested in touching the dirt outside than going on the tour inside. I guess a one and an almost two-year-old just aren't fit to be tied.

No comments: