Monday, August 10, 2009

Cannonized

These are pictures of some of the hundreds of cannons that were lying around out there on the Gettysburg battlefield. You couldn't swing a dead cat out there without hitting one of these cannons, and it sorta makes me sad because cannons are pretty nasty chunks of metal. I did some looking around on the internet to find out how cannons work and when they were first made, and I found out that human beings are really cruel and terrible creatures. But I personally don't know anyone that invented cannons, so I guess I haven't a reason to get all up in arms about it (pun intended). War, (huh!) what is it good for? Absolutely nothin'!We thought it was really cool that the year the cannon's turret was made is etched into the front. I couldn't tell you how often we heard tourists ask the tour guide people if the paint on the cannons is original. Yeah, the cannons miraculously didn't get a single scratch on them as they got hefted over hill and dale and had massive rocks fired out of them. This is a rare picture of Zoe actually looking at the camera instead of being completely focused on her cannon stick stacking. She's not a huge fan of national historic sites, but she very much likes not being in her car seat. Have you ever seen that episode of The Andy Griffith Show where Andy and Barney are trying to find a place to put the old Civil War cannon that was donated to the city of Mayberry? It's pretty funny.

1 comment:

*Aliese* said...

Zoe's adorable; that middle picture of her makes me grin! I can't blame her for hating the car seat either!