Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hangin' with Moroni on the Hill

Here are a few more pictures of the monument atop our favorite little New York hill. Ya know, the funny thing that I think most of us Westerners don't understand when we try to picture these historic events is the volume of trees in the non-desert portion of our country. I always imagined Joseph Smith out there trippin' over gigantic rocks on a green grassy hill. I never really considered that the Hill Cumorah was every bit as forested as the Sacred Grove just down the street. The clearing you see in the picture in the post below this one was made in order to put on the Hill Cumorah pageant. I'm sure the pageant is lovely, but we didn't have the time or the patience to wait around a couple more weeks for it to get started.

Like I mentioned in the last posting, after our long car ride, Zoe had more wiggles in her than a bucket of worms. It took every ounce of strength we had to keep her from running head first over the hill. Instead we set her loose by the monument and she climbed every stair in site. It was as if the Church knew that there'd be thousands of wiggly kids stopping here that would need ample stairs to ascend, descend, repeat.

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I've never been there; it looks beautiful!

Karl & Cathy said...

That's awesome! I hope to visit there someday!!