Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Greening of the River

Ok, I gotta start this blog by saying that it is impossible to spell conjugations of the word "dye" correctly. I had no idea that watching the river get dyed green would be as awesome as it was. The only way I can describe it to you is to post all three of these videos on the blog for your viewing pleasure, with my inevitable comments in handy caption format!

We'll start with the bird's eye view of the river getting greened. This is clearly all time-lapsed, but I think it is one of the coolest videos I've ever seen. I came across the video about a year ago, and wanted to post it on the blog that day, but I told myself it would be so much more effective to post it having actually seen the event. Check out how many people are lining the streets!

And here it is from the Sara cam. I'm no river dying expert but I think the second boat is there to either rustle up the water and spread the dye, or simply to give one more set of guys the chance to use the line, "by the way, I'm the guy who dyes the river green" to one of the red-headed bar chicks later that night. I think another way to get the river this exact color would be to fill it with antifreeze. This, of course is not a possibility since all the antifreeze in the Midwest is used up between the months of November and March, the only reasonable substitute being lime snow cone concentrate, but everyone knows that the only snow cone color available in that magnitude is grape.

In this video you can see that the powder they chuck into the river isn't green at all! It's orange! It's a St. Patrick's Day miracle! I guess I should explain the band-aid on Zoe's forehead. Leprechaun bite. Actually, while we were all cramped together with strange strangers waiting for the river to be be greened, Zoe got spooked by the weird kids next to us and as she was backing away she tripped over the stroller wheel and fell, smacking her head on a rail on the way down. It was super sad, but she only cried for a few minutes. She later told me that watching the river get dyed was worth every second. Underneath that band-aid is a truly Irish lass.

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

That's seriously cool! What a fun experience. I also love that you've referenced the orange powder as a St. Patrick's Day miracle...I can't think of any other way to describe it! :)

Anna Rhodes said...

That is way cool. I didn't know they did that. what a fun St. Patrick's event that is.