Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Killers take Portlandia!




As of tomorrow my current blogging hiatus will enjoy it's first birthday, an event that I simply can't let happen.  Over the last few weeks I've been doing a bit of guest blogging on my sister-in-laws site (see "Nathen and Jennifer" in the Liked Links list on the right), and it has rekindled my past posting passion.  Now I'm faced with the insurmountable task of blogging an entire year's worth of adventures in the action-packed life of my wee little family.  Where do I start?  I believe I'll take the customary approach and begin with the loudest event, then work my way down in decibels.

Fourth quarter 2012 was a crazy busy time for us, yet we were able to fit a bit o' fun in the mix.  The best of it all was that my little sister, Staycia, was staying with us for nearly three months, and we had a blast.  Staycia's got the world's best personality and it was tons of fun to have her here.  There will be a lot more posts about the Fall of Staycia...wait, I don't mean "Fall" like the Fall of Rome, I mean the season.  Yeah.

Sara and I are legs of a very complicated love triangle with the world's greatest current Rock'n'Roll band, The Killers.  If you're not familiar with The Killers, I recommend you locate a cool person and query them for more information.  After over a year off, our band finally came out with a new album, Battle Born, so we hopped online and discovered that the promotional tour included Vancouver and Portland!  What poor excuses of fans we'd be if we didn't go see the concert, plus we'd have a chance to show Staycia what a real rock concert is like.  My passport is a little expired, so we bought tickets the day they went on sale for the concert at the Portland Rose Quarter and spent a few months in great anticipation.

Man was that concert amazing!  Tegan & Sara and M83 were the opening bands, which were awesome enough, then The Killers took the stage and an audio/visual sensation was released that flew up into our lofty stadium seats and transformed us into glorified rock'n'roll demi-gods.  This is the great power that can be harnessed by uber-talented musicians armed with laser lights, pyrotechnics and towering Marshall stacks.  Every minute of the concert lived up to my very high expectations.

We left the Rose Quarter that night totally hyped up and much closer as a group.  I like the occasional reminder that my wife knows how to dance, scream and shout at a rock concert, and it was really cool to see my little sister shouting along with my favorite band.  Plus, look how hot Sara is in her Killers T-shirt!  Now you see how complicated our love triangle is...Sara and I love each other and we love The Killers.  They love us, as witnessed by the great gift of rock they bestowed upon us, yet we just can't be together all the time.  Our night with The Killers in Portland eventually came to an end, but our hearts still beat in time with Brandon, Dave, Mark and Ronnie.

Here's a must-see link about The Killers' lead singer, Brandon Flowers, who is a card-carrying Mormon:  http://mormon.org/brandon.  I love this link and all the other profiles on Mormon.org.  You can check out my profile not too far away from Brother Flowers'; here:  http://mormon.org/me/690S/Kason

No comments: